Upcoming Projects: January - February

The past few months have seen a couple of sales from McCall's patterns, meaning I had absolutely no self-control and proceeded to buy most of the vintage patterns on sale, and a few Patterns by Gertie.

That said, I used a few upcoming events and the fact I have so much fabric sitting in my stash as an excuse for the rampant spending. But they were only two dollars each, do you understand?! TWO DOLLARS!




I will admit that I didn't have any projects in mind for a few of these, but I really couldn't resist. I'm particularly excited about the petticoat patterns by Gertie - the length looks just right for a couple of dresses I have that are shorter than tea length.

Recent fabric hauls

Fabric-a-brac came around again last year. I haven't been before, but it was well worth going. It's an excellent fair to score high quality fabric for a bargain! I nabbed thickly woven wool blend for a 1940s suit, a beautiful drapey georgette in a delightful floral print, and a number of vintage notions. I'm not entirely sure what I'll use the georgette for - either a 1930s dress or something from the 40s.

Since moving house I am now 10 minutes' walk from Geoff's Emporium, and 15 minutes' from Fabric Warehouse. This has led to a couple of spontaneous fabric-buying trips. But after seeing a gorgeous Studio Ghibli print, how could I resist planning a whole dress around it?

View A for this delightful print


I've had happy results from Fabric.com previously when I order some space-themed printed cotton for my Ms Frizzle dress, so I used them again to get some more simple weaves. Along with white voile, I bought some cotton batiste in yellow and white.


View C, the full skirt version, will be perfect for this happy buttercup yellow

What better excuse to take the ferry across to Waiheke Island than to catch Victorian Gilt's 30% off sale? I managed to nab the most gorgeous 1950s seersucker cotton. A white cotton voile for the lining will be absolutely perfect. I just can't decide what pattern to use!



Upcoming events

Little less than two weeks away I have a photoshoot session with Tony McKay studios and the Beauty School Dropouts alongside a lot of talented and very beautiful pinup ladies! While I'm not inclined towards the full pinup style, this shoot looks like it's going to be so very fun. I'm going to be sewing a Jane Porter inspired 50s dress for the shoot. It's not very far away so I'll have to hustle!

Then in late February is the Art Deco festival in Napier. I'm so excited for it! If I have time, I'll be re-sewing the 1920's sports dress I made a while back. I have new accessories, and I'll be wearing the 1930's dress I made earlier in the month.

January and February look to be very busy indeed!

Comments