Butterick 2218 - Early 1960s Ensemble

This Easter weekend was the perfect opportunity to catch up on the sewing projects I've been neglecting since January. So naturally I rummaged through my pattern box and picked out something I hadn't intended to make any time soon! I had been gifted a few different fabrics from my grandmother, one being a beautiful mint windowpane.



The pattern I have is Butterick 2218. I couldn't find any information online, but the styling looks early 1960s. It's such a classic ensemble - you can picture the fabric above being used for the whole outfit!




I started by making a mockup. Since the bust is 36" and I'm a 38 on a good day I thought I'd have to take it in all over the place, but it actually fit just about perfectly. I was definitely surprised! The only thing I needed to adjust was the position of the shoulder seam (it was falling quite far back) and to lower the bust point. It was clearly suited for a bullet bra!

After making the adjustments and another mockup, I was really happy with the fit, so I jumped right into making the final version. I didn't pre-wash my fabric from laziness and I'm really regretting it now! I don't know why I didn't do it!




I'm actually quite pleased with the construction on this one. I overlocked the seams which should make it quite durable. The sleeves are finished with a single bias and slip-stitched down. I'm also happy with how the slashed neckline came out - it looks quite clean!




It's such a cute top, and I feel like it would mix and match well with my wardrobe. It should be machine washable but I'm a bit scared to do that as I never pre-washed the fabric. Yikes!

I think I reduced the sleeves a little too much around the hem as it appears to pull a little, but that's the only thing I would change about this garment.





I wouldn't mind making another of these. It's such a simple construction - the kimono sleeves mean no easing in! Next up I'll probably make the skirt from the same material, and the swing coat from the heavier grey shown in the first photo, if there's enough there.

Comments